Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Week 6 #13

Del.icio.us is a very interesting tool. I think it can be really useful for general information and for social networking, but doesn't fulfill it's full potential for academic uses. This idea of free tagging would be really useful in a professional/academic database. Being a college student, I understand how difficult it can be to find sources for research papers, if college libraries or even our own public library would allow users to "tag" different articles in a database, it could make the process of finding material for a paper much easier.

The capability of having portable bookmarks is a great idea, especially for librarians or anyone that moves from computer to computer and needs easy access to websites that are useful to them. This is really useful for a student who is working on a paper and goes to many different places throughout the day. Once I explore this tool a bit more, and depending on how convenient it is, I may use this for my own academic purposes. Such as when I'm writing a paper and I want to work on it at the college library, and I'm looking for articles or blogs that can contribute to my research. It will be much easier to just add the bookmark to delicious and go back to it later than the usual copy-paste into a word document or email that I will send to myself. Delicious takes one tedious task out of saving useful websites, and will make the process of retrieving those websites once you get home a lot easier.

1 comment:

ctechnonot said...

Hello Macandcheeze maniac,
Del.icios or whatever it is called would be more DELICIOUS if it were MACARONI AND CHEEZE!...:-)